BUSHFIRE RISK MANAGEMENT & PLANNING SERVICES
In December 2015, the State Government announced new mandatory bushfire protection guidelines. Understanding these new guidelines is vital for local governments, architects, land developers and land managers to ensure vegetation and infrastructure are designed and managed to the new standards.
Ecoscape have provided bushfire risk management and planning consulting services over many projects, with over 10 years’ experience in this area. Project examples are listed below.
SCIENCE + DESIGN
Ecoscape’s integrated SCIENCE + DESIGN capability and approach allows us to simultaneously assess natural areas and fire risk, as well as landscape and community design, in a way that creatively adheres to legislative requirements.
We ensure that we are always across new legislation regarding environmental and bushfire management, because bushfire planning is required to be compliant with environmental legislation, in terms approvals to remove vegetation and design guidelines to minimise fire risk.
Ecoscape’s design team creatively adapts landscapes and urban layout to meet fire guidelines. These design changes help to reduce susceptibility to fire whilst maintaining high quality public open space. We believe bushfire conformance does have to not mean less trees or landscapes that lack character and natural aesthetics. Rather we believe that by understanding bushfire planning, we can create ‘managed landscapes’ including public open space that acts as the fire buffer for developments. Such an approach reduces costly building bushfire compliance and simultaneously increases lot yield.
Ecoscape’s professional approach provides us with the scientific rigor plus design innovation to adapt developments to the changing environment.
Ecoscape provides the following services to assist with bushfire management conformance and applications:
- Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) assessments, resulting in a Contour Map that indicates the likely BALs for project areas
- bushfire hazard assessments
- bushfire management plans
- bushfire sensitive design solutions, including for subdivisions that maximise amenity and developable area
- revegetation and soft landscaping designs that comply with bushfire planning guidelines and can be integrated with bushfire management plans
- POS amendments to enable categorisation as managed parkland to ensure sufficient tree cover
- understanding of Building Codes Australia relating to bushfire (AS3935)
- natural area assessments providing information for protection of flora and fauna in bushfire risk management activities
- fire prevention, preparation and post fire strategies
- management of remnant native vegetation
- acting as liaison with DFES and landowners
- subdivision planning
Formal training for the new State requirements for accredited bushfire management has only recently become available. Ecoscape currently have a Level One Bushfire Attack Level Assessor formally trained per DFES regulations by the Fire Protection Association Australia.
To find out if you require a bushfire assessment click a button below:BUSHFIRE PRONE AREAS MAP WAPC Required Approvals & Documents
Ecoscape’s bushfire risk management, planning and design experience includes:
Bushfire Management Plans (including within broader Management Plans)
- Coogee Beach Management Plan
- Lake Gwelup Environmental Management Plan & Master Plan
- Lake Claremont Fire Management Plan
- Armadale Urban Bushland Fire Management Plans
- Casuarina Reserve Management Plan
- Casuarina Bushland Management Plan
- Shreeve Road Reserve Fire Management Plan
- Peel Regional Park Bushland Management Plan
- Peel Estuary Island Point Bushland Management Plan
- Placid North Foreshore Management Plan
- Murdoch University Biodiversity Management Plan
- Carine Regional Open Space Management Plan
Fire Hazard Assessments and Risk Management
- Maylands Police Complex Fire Hazard Assessment
- Maylands Police Complex Fire Hazard Reduction
Landscape and Development Design (in fire risk and management contexts)
- Forrestdale Catholic College
- Craigie Senior High School redevelopment
- Cockburn Central West Streetscape Designs
- Lumin Rise Residential Subdivision and Foreshore Rehabilitation
- Grange Meadows Residential Subdivision and Streetscapes
Back to Environmental Consulting Main